McKay Lake is home to the Winter Trout Fishing Program. Under a cooperative agreement, the Missouri Department of Conservation, Jefferson City Parks and Recreation, and Capital City Fly Fishers are stocking McKay Lake to create an urban winter fishery in Jefferson City.
Each year over 2,400 trout will be stocked during the first week in November. Most will be 10 to 13 inches (about 3/4 pound) and a select number will be larger (up to 6 pounds).
For further information about the program, please call the Missouri Department of Conservation at (573) 884-6861.
Program Rules and Regulations
- All anglers must use only flies, artificial lures and soft plastic baits (unscented) on McKay Lake from November 1 to January 31
- All trout must be released unharmed from November 1 to January 31
- After January 31, trout may be kept with a creel limit of 4 per day
- Anyone keeping trout must possess a trout permit
- Anglers age 16 to 64 must possess a valid fishing permit
- After January 31, natural and scented baits may be used
- Anglers are limited to 3 fishing poles
- No boats are allowed in McKay Lake